The Feast of the Black Nazarene as Condemned by Non-Catholics


January 9 is the annual feast of SeƱor Jesus Nazareno (Itim na Poong Nazareno in the Philippines) and each year, millions of devotees go to Quiapo, Manila to join the processional route. Devotees tolerate the heat of the sun and the possibility of serious injuries that they may get from the crowd. All of them are dedicated to wipe their towelette on the statue for they have a strong belief that it is like touching the real body of our Lord; thus shall add more powers to their prayers.


However, some Christian and other religions in the Philippines and other parts of the globe criticize this holy gathering. They keep on saying that it is wrongful act of worshiping the statues and God does not want it.

As a Catholic follower, this makes me mad every time I saw this kind of reaction. It is inevitable. The first of ten commandments says that we shall not create a statue or any other representation to worship. That is correct. But these Christian and other communities who condemn us forget the latter part: to worship. 

We, Catholics, create statues but we do not worship them

Dr. Jose Rizal. Ferdinand Magellan. Amerigo Vespucci. Christoper Columbus. What do you think they have in common? They have done acts that an ordinary person can do. Because of these, their followers created statues that represent them and for us to remember the things they have contributed in their respective countries.

That is exactly what we, Catholics, do. We do not worship the statue. It is only our representation and it is our way of glorifying and giving honor to our Lord. If we can make statues for these mortal people, why can't we make statues for our omnipotent and omniscient Lord?

Just a Defense
I am not here to force the readers to agree with our belief but I am just defending my religion. Some religions do not even know the word "respect" and they keep on condemning Catholicism as if they understand and fathom the bible completely. As if they are the basis of what is wrong and what is right. As if the Lord set their church to be the basis of everything.

That is the reason why we have different religions. Because we have different beliefs and so each of us shall respect one another. Different religions have different interpretations of the bible so it is really insane to debate your religion with someone.

Define Respect
I saw a Facebook post pertaining to the feast of Sr. Jesus Nazareno that says:
"I respect your belief pero nakakalungkot dahil MALI na talaga."

In English, it translates as I respect your belief but it makes me sad because it's really wrong. This made me to raise my brow. Does this person really know the definition of respect? He contradicts his statement. Let's consult Merriam and here is what it says:

Respect means to refrain from interfering.

Feeling sad about what we do is not respect because in the first place, it is not his religion and he must not put himself to our shoes. We are Catholic. He is not. He interferes! 

For me, when you say you respect a religion, you are not giving any comments to what they are doing. You do not question their beliefs. You do not feel sad or something for them because they are different. You do not judge the things they are doing because every religion has their own definition of what is right and what is wrong. And we cannot understand them unless we ARE like them. 

I think the sentence must not be "Respect our religion." It must be "Mind your own religion." 

Why Some People Do Not Respect Others' Religion?
I questioned myself before: why are they doing these? Why do people keep on condemning other's religion vulgarly and publicly. I think the answer is simple. New starting churches, who need a great volume of worshipers, condemn a religion to ruin its reputation. They will really strive hard to interpret the bible the way they want, contrary to the other religion's belief, so people will agree to them.They are condemning our religion to get followers.

Have you noticed this? Islam, Catholicism, Buddhism, and Protestantism are just some of the religions who do not condemn the beliefs of others. Why? Aside from they respect others, they do not need to ruin the reputation of a Church to gain followers.

And who are those who condemn? I will not mention any religion but as you notice, they are those which have small numbers of population and those which are new and starting. Come on. The intention is too obvious!

I respect all religions. For I believe, it is our right to choose one. And if I happen to be in that religion, I would also demand for respect. I always remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I respect them expecting they will respect my religion as well. But sadly, some don't.

Conclusion
Ask yourself, Do I respect their religion? Do I mind my own religion? And do not also forget the definition of the word respect i.e., to refrain from interfering. What if we interfere in your religion. How would you feel?
Next PostNewer Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment