20 Fascinating Things Filipinos and Colombians Have in Common (#8 is Funny!)


When I was learning Spanish, I have had a great opportunity to talk with my parceritos (friends in English) from Colombia. I could say 90% of my Spanish skills now were taught by my friends and 10% of them were from the textbooks and videos I've studied. As I learn the language, I gradually learn the wonderful culture of Colombia.

Colombia has become, for me, my second country. I love everything they have and nothing has become foreign to me. To quench my thirst to know completely the culture of my second country, I searched more about Colombia. Surprisingly, the Filipinos and Colombians have lots of similarities.

1. Filipinos and Colombians are proud of their countries.
We Filipinos wear jackets and shirts to show our Filipinoism. Several t-shirt brands also prove this argument such as the Three Stars and a Sun. We also print the Philippine flag in our dog tags and caps. 

I also notice this attitude of Colombians. They are also proud of their country and nationality and they also print their flags on their shirts. All of my Colombian friends have worn their National Football jersey. All Colombians are united every FIFA competition.



Filipinos and Colombians are proud of every achievement of their country. You can see how Filipinos and Colombians dominate the comment section with Proud to be Pinoy or Orgullo de Colombia. Filipinos and Colombians indeed love their country and the success of a Filipino/Colombian, is a success of everyone. We love our countries and we are proud we live in our countries.






2. Both are friendly and warm

Look how warm they are!
Colombians are warm people just like Filipinos. When I signed up to Interpals, a language exchange site, some of the people there were not actually responding to my messages. Perhaps my approach of friendship is different from their culture. Some foreginers do not want a warm and friendly approach. But whenever I sent a message to a Colombian with that kind of approach, I always get a response and they always tell me that they are willing to help me in my Spanish. I always enjoy our conversation. Talking with them is like talking to my Filipino friends.

I also heard in a forum that when a foreigner is having a hard time understanding Spanish, a completely Colombian stranger will initiate and offer his help!

When there is a visitor, Colombians will immediately offer a cup of coffee [according to the official Colombian Tourism video I've watched]. I see this as well in our family. They offer our visitors a cup of coffee, even though the weather is hot.

Filipino children with a foreigner
Same goes with Filipinos. We are indeed friendly and hospitable especially with foreigners. I experienced before when I lost my way in one of the places here in Manila, when a street vendor saw me wondering where to go next, he said to me, "San ka ba pupunta hijo?" (Where will go, child?) And he taught me the route. I was not even asking him. That is a nice attitude for me. ☺

Smile is a requirement for us. You're not a Filipino/Colombian if you don't smile. Everyday on my way to the university, I encountered lots of people. And when someone (a stranger) looks at me, I smile then he smiles back too.

3. Super Extended Family
Colombian Family
Which was no easy task because you had approximately 15 "titas" and "titos" growing up.
Filipino family

The Philippines' and Colombia's definition of family is not only limited to a father, mother and children. They count their cousins, aunts, uncles, grandmothers no matter what degree they belong. All of them are closed to each other. Personally, I have known more or less fifteen titas (aunt) and fifteen titos (uncles) and twenty pinsans (cousin).

Whenever I make friends, asking about the family is always an ice breaker for me. When I ask my Colombian friends, they mention many family members as well. ☺

4. Catholicism
Both nations are catholic and the importance of Catholicism does reflect to the Philippine and Colombian culture. Most of the couples prefer to get married in a church rather than in jues (civil wedding) or say, in a garden or in a beach.

5. Unity and Volunteerism
But know that together you are stronger:


Most Filipinos and Colombians care and aware about the current political issues of their countries. Colombians believe that most problems could be solved if all Colombians will cooperate and unite.

We, Filipinos, also believe in this. We have the so-called bayanihan. Bayanihan, as you can see in the picture, is the act of unity in a barrio in relocating one's detachable hut. The spirit of bayanihan is not only seen during this scenario but also, we apply bayanihan during rescues, distribution of relief goods for the typhoon victims, etcetera. Almost all Filipinos become engaged in donations and repackaging of the donations in kind.

6. Colombians' and Filipinos' view about the USA
Both countries believe that the United States of America is the land of opportunities.

7. Both countries have wonderful beaches
San Andres in Colombia
Puerto Princesa in the Philippines

Colombia and the Philippines are both tropical countries and so their beaches are super ideal every summer.
8. We point something like this:
34 Signs You Grew Up Filipino
Instead of using our pointing fingers, we Filipinos and Colombians use our lips to point something. This shows our laziness somehow. ☺

9. Shopping is easy
Colombian and Filipino vendors sell their items anywhere you cannot imagine. Some are sidewalk vendors. Some sell on footbridges/overpasses. Some take advantage of congested traffic.
You can shop on any corner...
Colombians selling while the traffic light is red

Filipinos also sell on the road while the traffic light is red. This just shows the Colombian and Filipino vendors will do everything to achieve their target sales for the day. They are dedicated, persevered, and hardworking individuals. This is what I like about the Philippines. Whenever I feel thirsty while in a jeepney, I will just find someone selling a bottle of mineral water. You can shop on any corner.


10. The Philippine and the Colombian Traffic
Both countries have congested traffic. In the Philippines, this is my dilemma each time I go to our university. However, it's not always like this. Traffic is congested every rush hour. Based on my experience, expect the worst traffic in the Philippines every 8:00 a.m., 4:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m.

11. No one can harm our brothers
In Colombia and in the Philippines, it is natural for them to criticize and condemn one another. But Filipinos and Colombians get mad to the foreigners who say something bad to their fellow countrymen. It's like saying I can criticize my brother but nobody else can.

12. When is coffee good to a kid
colombian coffee

I remembered when I was little, my parents wouldn't allow me to take a cup of coffee if it has no milk and they perceived one without milk as matapang or in English strong. I was surprised that in Colombia, they also have this similar belief. Kids start to drink café con leche (coffee with milk) and gradually switch to tinto or the straight black coffee.


13. Home decoration

I heard that Colombians, since they are Catholics too, post images of Popes, Virgin Mary and other religious images on their walls. If so, we're the same again! Filipinos also display such images in most of the Filipino dining areas have the image of The Last Supper on the wall.

14. Everyone is welcome anytime
In some parts of the globe, before you visit someone, you must inform him first otherwise it is unethical. In Colombia and in the Philippines, showing up at someone's place is common and it is neither considered as unethical nor rude. You are welcome anytime. In the Philippines, the best utensils [the ones not used often] will be used for the visitors.

16. The tradition of haggling

Filipinos and Colombians can haggle the price of the goods that they want to buy. There is a famous Filipino place called Divisoria and you can buy factory priced goods therefrom. Not just you can buy goods at lower prices. You can also ask for bawas or discount. It is great to know that you can also ask for discounts in Colombia.

17. How cigarettes are sold
Most of the people in the world sold/bought cigarettes in pack. However, Colombians and Filipinos bought cigarettes in singles. Probably it's what their present cash could only buy or maybe they are just regulating their smoking habits. Of course in this type of business, vendors sold them at a higher price per stick.


A cigarette vendor in Colombia
A cigarette vendor in the Philippines, also known as takatak boy
18. Regálame
Whenever Colombians order foods or drinks, they say "regálame [insert your desired treat]." It literally translates to gift me. It is normal for Colombians to ask for some bonus to the stuff they bought but they are not actually expecting in return. It's just their way of building good customer-vendor relationship. They want to feel closed with the vendors.

Filipinos also have this kind of attitude. They will joke on the vendor "Teh wala bang free taste?" It literally translates to Sis don't you offer free taste. Filipinos do not really mean free taste/samples. They are actually asking for bonus treats. But just like Colombians, they are not expecting in return. It is just a joke. But better if the vendors will bite that. ☺

19. The Filipino and the Colombian Time
I've read that Colombians are not also good in appointments. Time is not stressed in the Philippines and Colombia. A 12:00 p.m. appointment may start at 12:30 p.m. Don't get offended when someone told you he'll submit something in an hour or two when he'll actually submit it tomorrow. This is one of the stereotypes of Colombians and Filipinos.

Sometimes, Filipino teenagers will schedule a day and time for their bonding. Say 10:30 a.m. Then one will inform his friends on the same day that he couldn't make it for some reasons and it's a domino effect. Everyone couldn't make it. In the end, no bonding happened. Filipinos and Colombians love to procrastinate.

20. Phone Credits
Load-an in the Philippines
It's really cool to a foreigner that he can purchase phone credits not just with his network provider but he can also purchase them in the sidewalk. In Colombia, they have minuto people almost everywhere who offer load minutes. We also have them in the Philippines. We called it load-an. You can see them in the sidewalks, in a store and in footbridges/overpasses. And sometimes, one of your classmates also offer phones credits.
Buying cellphone minutes on the street is super common:
Minutos en Colombia
Conclusion
We have seen above how the Philippines and Colombia are the same in so many aspects. Personally, it's a great idea for the Philippines to establish camaraderie with Colombia. I think the Filipino-Colombian friendship can do bigger things than we could imagine because more than parceritos, Filipinos and Colombians are hermanos.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment